Sunday, September 21, 2008

Falls' Harvest



I took this picture ages ago when we started digging up the first potatoes in our garden but never got around to posting it. Isaac loves to help me in the garden as long as he doesn't have to get his hands too dirty. He is a bit of a clean freak when it comes to his hands. I was pretty pleased with the results of my first year of vegetable gardening. Not everything was a success, but we got enough vegetables out of the experience to make it worth while. And while the peas got fried by too hot sun, most of the tomatoes got picked green by guess who and the spinach...well I'm not sure what went wrong there, but overall it was a great experience. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun with Isaac. In an earlier post I talked about what great eating garden vegetables are, but now that we are pulling up all the root vegetables, it is even more fun. Being an impatient sort, I could hardly contain myself from digging around the potato plants every so often to see if there were any tubers yet. Well my self restraint has paid off and a little while ago Isaac and I got to dig for some treasure in our garden. We picked and big 5 gallon bucket full on potatoes and a 4 litre bucket of beets. I know you say, what's so great about a few humble potatoes and beets? All I have to say is never underestimate the satisfaction of planting a tiny seed, and watching it grow and then after a lot of time and patience reaping the bounteous harvest of those seeds and hard work.

1 comment:

Eileen Young said...

Emily -
You are amazing - I agree that gardening is a great hobby. Where can you get such produce? Nothing like growing your own.
Grandpa planted 3 tomato plants & the harvest was unreal 0 think I'll just freeze them. I have made so much jam & jelly - I want a break.
Keep up the good work
Grannie