Friday, June 8, 2007

Attack of the Insects

Wow, I always knew that there were a lot of bugs up here in the summer, but this is getting a little ridiculous.
A few weeks ago we started to see the first swarms of mosquitos and we are all now sporting more than a few bites. But you get mosquitos every where else we've lived so no big deal, right? But the mosquitos are only the beginning.
Last saturday Isaac and I went for a walk in the woods and I noticed that the leaves (which had only been out for a few weeks) were getting eaten off the trees by a horde of tent catepillars. Later that day we all went out to the lake, and I have never seen so many catepillars in my life. The road into the beach looked like it was moving it was so covered with squirming, furry catepillars. Then only a day or two later, all the woods around town were completely defoliated. No exaggeration. The hills that a few days ago were covered in new green foliage are now bare. It's like fall all over again.
As if a hungry horde of giant catepillars wasn't enough, yesterday Isaac and I were playing in the back yard and I noticed that he had 5 or 6 little pinhead sized bleeding spots on his neck and head. I took him inside and noticed several fruit fly sized bugs in his hair. Figuring that they were probably the culprit but not knowing what they were, I called a friend in town who has lived here longer. She explained to me that they are a bug that bites off little bits of skin and flesh, thus causing the bleeding bites.
So it seems the to prevent getting eaten alive (quite literally!) we are going to hole up inside and wait for winter!

No comments: