Saturday, May 10, 2008

WAHM, SAHM or Working Mom

I am a teacher and since finishing my degree have not had much chance for what most call a 'career' (with four moves, three cities and a baby there really hasn't been too much time to catch ones' breath!). But this summer my teaching certificate expires because I have not collected 400 days of teaching under my belt. So the dilemma is this, do I find some gainful employment as a teacher to ensure my continued ability to bread-win should the need arise or hang it all and stay home with my two year old son where I love to be?

But these days there are so many options open to parents when it comes to working. I have a friend who works fulltime exclusively from home and is able to work her hours around her two year olds schedule. I have a sister who works every other weekend. Our neighbours down the street have pulled a switch, hubby stays at home and wifey goes to work. Another friend works two days a week and swaps babysitting with another colleage. So, like many others I am trying to figure out some sort of balance between being a mom and keeping in the 'game'. This is one thing I love about teaching and especially about the desperate job market we are in right now. Apparently there is a real shortage of certificated teachers to work as substitutes. That's right, you know the teachers you tormented in Junior High School by pretending to be your best friend? Well it seems that the situation is such that most schools are willing to even take a teacher such as myself with a nearly expired certificate and availability of only a few days a month. It works out great for me, I get a certificate for three more years and they get a great teacher to fill in when they need it. It's hard to imagine the days when the choices where black and white, work or not. All the options that are available to me these days make me so grateful for the SAHM, WAHM and Working Moms that opened up the possibilities for me so that I could find my own balance between work and home.

No comments: