Monday, December 21, 2009

Mrs. Fix It


Being that I have a very handy husband who is quite happy to do the maintenance and fix-it sort of things around our house I have never had the reason or need to attempt a repair of that sort on my own. But recent changes to our family dynamic, like Shaun being away for work a majority of the time has necessitated my foray into the fix-it arena. Last week while Isaac was 'helping' me by vacuuming the playroom he accidentally caught something in the vacuum that didn't allow the beater bar to turn and by the time: 1. he realized there was a problem, 2. communicated that problem to me and 3. I quickly resolved the situation by turning of the vacuum, there was smoke and an alarming burning smell coming from my vacuum. Crossing my fingers and praying that the vacuum wasn't toast (I had better ideas of what I'd like to find under the Christmas tree!) I tentatively started to take it apart. It immediately became apparent that the only damage suffered was a burned out belt, hopefully easy enough to find and replace. I quick search found a local repair shop that would sell me the part and screwdriver in hand I set to fixing the problem. I was incredibly easy, even for someone as mechanically challenged as myself. I know my uber-handy older sister will probably laugh at the simplicity of this task and my triumph in completing it, but for me it was a big step forward. Makes me start thinking about building those closet shelves myself....or not.

2 comments:

Eileen Young said...

I have the most amazing granddaughters who can rise to any task.
Grannie

Katey said...

Yay Emy! As to a new vacuum, everybody knows that practical items do not a Christmas present truly make (unless they also happen to be cool as well-like a viking helmet toque).