Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hawaii





I have been meaning to fill you all in on our trip to Hawaii. The trip was several weeks ago, but I have gotten lazy with my blogging and as I'm sure you've noticed my posts have been few and far between. We started off our trip to Hawaii by dropping off the littlest Skinner at his Grandma and Grandpa's house (or as Isaac pronounces it nana and bapa). Yep, we were off to a vacation without Isaac; for me the first time I've been away from him for more than a few hours. I admit that I was a little nervous how he'd do without his mama, but after giving us a kiss goodbye he dragged 'bapa' off to the bins full of toys that 'nana' has saved for such on ocassion. Needless to say between the freezer full of ice cream and the doting attention he recieved, we probably missed him more than he missed us.


We had a great time in Hawaii. The weather was off and on again rainy but it worked to our advantage; a Hanauma Bay with around 20 people on the beach and walking on the the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbour. We spent 3 days in Waikiki seeing the sites in Honolulu and then drove up the island to stay with Shaun's aunt Maureen. We spent much of our time there on the beach trying to master the unpredictable waves with our boogie boards. I couldn't belive how powerful the water can be. You can be standing in water that is only waist deep but be completely taken up in a wave and tumbled over and over into the shore. I experienced this the hard way getting taken up in a wave just like that and getting 'washing machined'. The result? A black eye, several scrapes and bruises and a couple pounds of fine sand pounded into my hair, ears, swimsuit etc... Even so, there is something so alluring about the ocean and an insatiable desire to master those waves. By the end of our trip we were getting pretty good, or maybe the waves were just a little bit smaller. Either way we had a great time and are definitely going back.

No comments: