Saturday, March 1, 2008

Where have all the polite men gone?

So we took little Skinner on the LRT today for a train ride and he really loved it. Whenever we went through a tunnel he got quite excited and would say "tunnel, tunnel......" And every once and a while he would 'choo-choo' as if to make up for the LRTs lack of a whistle. We had a great time downtown and when we got back on the train to go home the train was fairly crowded; at least enough for almost every seat to be full. As I was carrying almost 30 lb Isaac I was hoping to get a seat because I didn't want him to stand by himself on the moving LRT. Well, I was sadly disapointed. Several otherwise nice looking ladies and gentlemen shoved past me to get on the train first and occupy the remaining seats. I had no choce but to hold my 30 lb toddler and hope that we wouldn't fall over in the lurching train. I figured that as we were leaving the downtown that in a stop or two people would get off and seats would become available so our discomfort would be short lived. A few minutes and a few stops later, some people did get off and I said out loud to my son who had been saying 'seat! seat!' that we could go sit down now. To my utter dismay two very capable, toddler-free men rushed in and took the available seats. One even had the gall to take up two seats while me and many others where forced to stand. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but when you see anyone (male or female) that looks like they could use a seat more than you do, the common courtesy is to offer it to them.

No comments: