Saturday, January 30, 2010

Saturday Mornings

When I was very young I remember trying to wake up early on Saturday mornings in order to catch the best cartoons before my parents got up and started talking about chores. As a teenager, I recall trying to hide under my pillow as long as possible before Saturday chores or part time jobs necessitated getting up. As a adult with no children, I vaguely recall sleeping in and having a leisurely breakfast with Shaun. Children have definitely changed that routine.

My children know I always have lots to get done and love to help me maximize the hours in the day. For example Andrew thought it would be a great idea to get up at 1, 2, 4 and 5 am this morning. Being the foolish person that I am, instead of going to bed right after my children to ensure adequate rest, I stayed up until midnight tackling necessary projects like facebook and a movie. At 5 am when Andrew firmly decided that going to sleep was not at all interesting, I took him into my bed in a last ditch attempt to sleep and if the heavens willed it, get Andrew back to sleep. This of course was not in Andrews plans. Propped up with lots of pillows, he would tug on my hair every time the toy he had was no longer diverting until I gave him a new one. Finally at 7 am Andrew had just barely drifted off when Isaac came in and loudly and joyfully announced that it was definitely time for breakfast...

What are your Saturday mornings like?

3 comments:

Janine said...

Poor Emily. Don't worry, I'll come over and let you have a nap one of these days.

Katey said...

Ben usually pops in as well, gleefully announcing the start of a new day and his need for breakfast. I love Saturdays though, as it is the only day when we don't use the infernal alarm-just the kids.

Eileen Young said...

You'll have to change your blog name - what will it be??
Grannie