Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Itch


I find this time of year challenging, it is wonderful to see the snow melting and buds appearing on trees, enjoying walks in the semi-warm sunshine; all in the anticipation of spring. The only problem is that where we live this anticipation drags on from February until sometimes as late as May long-weekend. I am completely itching to get into the garden and nurture little plants along and eat fresh garden vegetables. I even have been checking my garden every few days to check on the ground thawing and turning my compost once more so I'll have lots to put in my garden. Today I just couldn't stand the urge any longer...I visited our local garden centre and greenhouse. Fortunately for me, they know that it is completely unseasonal to have their bedding plants and perrenials out. But they did have good selection of seeds and I picked up the ones I'll be needing this year. But realistically, I'm just going to have that itch to garden for a few more weeks....or months.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Oh yeah, we are itching too. We made ourselves a garden plot last summer so hopefully we'll get a good return this year. Do you have raspberries (my favourite)?

thepedaller said...

No, I wish! Our yard is pretty shady and the little sunny spots I do have are dedicated to veggies.

Katey said...

I feel your pain Em, I'm getting the garden itch too. Count your blessings though, right? At least you have a garden, I'm still figuring out how I shall garden at all this season, which often leads to clever plans and sneaky tricks.

2x2momma said...

I love gardening too! What do you use for compost? We tried vermicomposting this year and it's been very interesting...

Nora said...

I love Spring! That first day with the window open and green breezes wafting in is, in my opinion, one of the best simple pleasures ever.