Friday, July 4, 2008

The Home Cook: The Yum Factor

As I discussed in my last Home Cook post, it can sometimes be difficult to find recipes that my family actually likes. So, this may sound silly but whenever I try a new recipe after we've all eaten some it is rated on a scale on 1 to 10. Ten being "absolutely delicious" and one being "positively inedible". I like to call this rating the yum factor. Crazy I know but the yum factor really does make it ever so much easier when I am staring into the fridge and thinking, what on earth am I going to make for dinner? Definitely not that cassorole concoction (only a 4), why not that noodle dish (a strong 9 or 10 according to Shaun if it had more meat!). So in the hope that you can find that same yum factor in that noodle dish we like so much, here's the recipe:

Singapore Noodles

1-2 boneless pork chops
1/2 pkg steamed chow mein noodles
2 tbsp oil
Jalapeño pepper seeded and sliced
1 tbsp mild curry paste
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp minced gingerroot
1 sweet red pepper
1 carrot sliced
1 ½ c. chicken stock
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
3 green onions
1 c bean sprouts
¼ c chopped peanuts
Cilantro

1. Cut pork into very thin strips, set aside. In bowl, pour boiling water over noodles, let stand for 1 min. Drain and set aside.
2. In wok, heat oil over med-high heat. Add pork; stir fry for about 2 min. Transfer to plate.
3. Add jalapeño pepper, curry paste, garlic and ginger to wok. Add red pepper and carrot; stir fry for 3 min or until carrot is tender.In bowl, stir together chicken stock, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Add to wok along with noodles; cook, stirring, for 5 min or until most of the liquid is absorbed but noodles are still coated with sauce. Add green onions, bean sprouts and pork; cook for about 2 min or until hot. Serve sprinkled with peanuts and cilantro.

We really liked this recipe. The bean sprouts and nuts really make the dish. I also added way more vegetables than the recipe called for. I probably doubled what they have and then added some other stirfry worthy vegetables that I had on hand. SO GOOD!

No comments: